Thursday, December 22, 2011

Bible Scripture Reading for Friday 22 December 2011

"Greetings in the Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for 22 December 2011"

Today's Blog Title: "Standing Before Pilate"
Today's Scripture Reading: John 18:28-40 (Part 2)
Today's Key Verse: John 18:36 "Jesus answered,"My kingdom is not of this world.  If my kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews; but now My kingdom is not from here."

Today is the finish of Chapter 18. In the first part of Chapter 18 we read John's account of the Arrest and Jesus, His mock trials before the Jewish Leaders, and Peters denial of Jesus three times before the rooster crowed just as Jesus had told him.

In John 18:28-40 (19:1-16) and we read John's most significant contribution, however is his detailed description of the trial before Pilate and the frustrated attempts of that weak governor to release a person he knew was very well innocent. 

As Jesus stood before Pilate He admitted to being a king, but totally confused Pilate by asserting His kingdom had neither land nor troops.  Even here as Jesus stood before Pilate He seems to reach out to Pilate than defend Himself.  If only Pilate will listen to (hear and respond correctly) to what Jesus says he will learn (by experience) the truth (reality) Jesus is describing.  

At the end of verse 37 Jesus tells Pilate, "Everyone who is of the truth hears my voice."  Pilate responds with "What is Truth?"  This question can mean three things: (1) a cynical denial of the possibility of knowing the truth (2) a contemptuous jest at anything so practical as abstract truth and (3) a desire to know what no one has been able to tell him.  Jesus in His bearing of the truth was the seal of God.  If Pilate really wanted to know the truth, he would have understood what Jesus was saying.   Pilate then goes back out the the Jews gathered outside and tells them that he CAN FIND NO FAULT in Him.

Chapter 18 closes with Pilate being told that a prisoner should be released in honor of the Passover.  Pilate jumped at the possible compromise.  By promising to release Jesus on account of the custom rather than proclaiming Him innocent, Pilate would avoid insulting the Jewish leaders, who had already proclaimed Him guilty.  Pilate asks the yelling mob "do you want me to release Barabbas or the King of the Jews?" The crowd yells, "not Jesus but Barabbas."  The crowd wanted Barabbas released, who was not only a robber, but a rebel and a murderer, instead of Jesus Christ, the King of kings, and Lord of lords.

Today's Christmas Hymn: "The Little Drummer Boy"

Come they told me, a new born king to see. Our finest gifts bring, to lay before the King, so to honor Him when we come
Pa rum pum pum
Little baby, I am a poor baby too. I have no gift to bring, that's fit to give our King. Shall I play for you, on my drum?
Pa rum pum pum
Mary nodded, the ox and lamb kept time.  I played on my drum for Him, I played my best for Him, and then He smiled at me, me and my drum
Pa rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum

Heavenly Father, Lord Jesus, Holy Spirit, as we start our travels to gather together with family and friends, we ask Lord that You will watch over all who travel, that You protect those that travel to and from their destinations.  We ask Lord just as the drummer boy, that in our daily lives we will give to you all our best in serving You, and reaching out to those that are in need of Your Loving and Saving Grace.  May we keep our minds focused on You, and the reason that we Celebrate This Christmas Season.

Today's Biblical Truth: "Our desire should not be to isolate ourselves from the world, but to use Christ's word and the Holy Spirits power to serve Him while we are here on this earth."

Click on the link at www.cindi-davis.blogspot.com for Today's Bible Verse from Acts 1:9."

Have a God Filled and Spirit Led Day.  Go in Peace and Serve the Lord our God with Gladness. Love God More Today.  Pray for our Brothers and Sisters in Christ who are being persecuted for their Faith and Trust in Jesus Christ.  Pray also for God's Blessings on the Nation of Israel.  Always remember that when you have a spiritual dilemma in your life and you yell out, "I CAN'T," GOD Whispers to you, "BUT I CAN."

"Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, My lips shall praise You." Psalm 63:3

I would love to hear from those of you who are reading this Blog.  Please add a comment at the end of this Blog or email me at cindilynn53@yahoo.com.  Also if there is a favorite Hymn that you would like me to add as the Hymn of the Day please let me know.  Let me know where you are from and your first name as well so I can give you credit for the suggestion.

Your Sister in Christ
Cindi   







No comments:

Post a Comment