Monday, October 10, 2011

Bible Scripture Reading for Monday 10 October 2011

"Greetings in the Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for 10 October 2011"

Today we begin in the Book of Hebrews.  The structure of Hebrew is unique among the Epistles of the New Testament.  Was it a letter or a sermon?  It has the ending of a letter but not the salutation of one.  It does not name its author or ts intended audience, yet it contains personal greetings , assumes that the readers knew who was writing to them, and mentions some well known mutual acquaintances, such as Timothy (Hebrews 13:23).   This mix of elements has caused much debate over the the Book of Hebrews really is, with no solid conclusion.  The author himself calls it "The word of exhortation" (Hebrews 13:22).

Today's Blog Title: "God, Exactly"
Today's Scripture Reading: Hebrews 1:1-14
Today's Key Verse: Hebrews 1:1-4 " God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who bring the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

Hebrews begins with a grand affirmation.  God, who spoke to man through intermediaries, has now spoken to us by His Son, a Son who God Himself in all splendor and power. (Hebrews 1:1-4).  The author underlines the fact that the Son is Superior to angels.  Jewish tradition held that angels gave the Old Covenant (the law) to Moses.  This One through whom God  has now spoken is superior for He, not the angels, is spoken to by God as "My Son" (verse 5). He is superior because angels are commanded to worship the Son (verse 6).  He is superior because angels are servants, while the Son sits on the throne (verses 7-9).

The Son is superior not only as Creator of the universe, but as One who in endless life sits at God's right hand (verses 10-13).  Angels are ministering spirits; not masters of the universe, but servants of God's saints (verse 14).  

Today's Hymn: "Lead Me To Calvary"

King of my life, I crown Thee now, Thine shall the glory be;
Lest I forget Thy thorn crowned brow, Lead me to Calvary
Show me the tomb where Thou was laid, Tenderly mourned and wept
Angels in robes of light arrayed, Guarded Thee while Thou slept
Let me like Mary, through the gloom, Come with a gift to Thee
Show to me now the empty tomb, Lead me to Calvary
May I be willing, Lord, to bear, Daily my cross for Thee
Even Thy cup of grief to share, Thou hast borne all for me
Lest I forget Gethsemane, Lest I forget Thine agony;
Lest I forget Thy love for me, Led me to Calvary

Heavenly Father, Lord Jesus, Holy Spirit, how thankful we are that You have the whole world and the vast universe in Your hands and that You are in total control of all that happens.  How we as Christians look forward to the day when we shall spend all eternity with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  How we are looking forward to inherit our share of the kingdom as a reward for our faithful and obedient service to Thee.
                                                                                                                          Amen
Today's Biblical Truth: "The Son not only created the universe by His powerful word, but also maintains and directs it course."

Click on the link at www.cindi-davis.blogspot.com for Today's Scripture Reading from 1 John 2:22.

Have a God Filled and Spirit Led Day.  Go in Peace and Serve the Lord our God with Gladness.  Love God More Today and always remember that when you have a spiritual dilemma in your life and you yell out, "I CAN'T", God whispers to you, "BUT I CAN".

"I love those who love me, And those who seek me diligently will find me." Proverbs 8:17 (Wow what a promise from God)

Your Sister in Christ,
Cindi


  

No comments:

Post a Comment